Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 08:05:53 -0600
From:      TENEBRAE <tenebrae@flash.net>
To:        (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject:   Re: Internal network transfers

At 06:45 PM 1/8/00 -0500, Tom Embt wrote:

>In my experience this kind of grossly asymmetric speed often indicates a
>duplex problem (ie - autonegotiation failed), most likely on the FreeBSD
>box.  Assuming the network interface on your FreeBSD machine is called
>'pn0', try something like the following:
>
>ifconfig pn0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt half-duplex

OK, I must confess it ended up being a 'PEBCAK' error.  When I installed
the Netgear 10/100 NIC in my Windows box, I set my NIC to strictly
100base/full-duplex.  Bah!!  I've got the same model NIC in both machines,
but the BSD box is running 10base/half-duplex.  It never caused a problem
when I was running Win2k advanced server beta, but when that expired I
reloaded Win98...  Thanks a lot, Tom, and the other folks that gave me
feedback.  Geez...
      -W.P.