Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:58:52 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wifi + wpa_supplicant in 9.1-RC3

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Nathan Whitehorn
<nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 11/20/12 07:52, CeDeROM wrote:
>>
>> Hello :-)
>>
>> I have some problems with WiFi connectivity on my Dell Latitude E4310
>> laptop with Intel card. Very often connection is broken, although
>> windows clients of the same network is working fine. I need to turn
>> radio off and on, sometimes this does not help, I need to kill
>> wpa_supplicant and start one by hand, so probably this is something
>> related with wpa_supplicant. Anyone observed similar issues?
>>
>> Btw if WiFi N supported?
>>
>> Best regards :-)
>> Tomek
>>

> This has been happening to be with iwn(4) for years. It will print something
> to the console about firmware watchdog timeouts and then the device needs to
> be restarted. It seems to happen only in radio-busy environments and also
> happens with clear-text networks.

Try turning off background scanning. 'ifconfig wlan0 -bgscan'. Note
that this will have negative impact on roaming, but has never really
caused me any real problems.

I have found problems with several Wifi cards in "busy" locations,
such as conferences and public places with multiple APs.

iwn support N, but my experience has not been good. With a 'G'
connection to my AP, I get about 20 Mbps, but when I turn on 'N', it
drops to about 8 Mbps. I would not assume that 'N' is going to work
better with the current software.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com