Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:03:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "D. Hampton Finger" <locnar@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        ale@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: php4-extensions-1.0 (Bug?)

I have found what I feel to be a bug or a shortcoming in the way the
php4-extensions-1.0 meta port works.

If you install the port the first time, it works very well.  However, if
you go to add an additional one or many additional extensions with an
additional use of the port, the /usr/local/etc/php/extensions file gets
populated without checking for old/current entries.  I.E. if you need to
be added again.  This creates duplicate listings of extensions in the
file.  The duplicate listings cause php to kick out errors, and
those errors are not handled by apache well (Signal 11 core dump).

Perhaps a better parsing of the extensions file upon additions/removals of
extensions is in order as the information as to which extensions have been
installed is listed in /var/db/pkg as well as in /var/db/ports.

There has been some chatter on the net about his issue, but I didn't find
where people had figured it out that it was the php extensions being
called twice or more causing php to error and bringing down apache.  most
users who found this simply reloaded from the ground up which fixed it.

This may be an issue with all the other php extensions, but I didn't test
those.

Thank you for your time,
 	Hampton

D. Hampton Finger                     locnar@mail.utexas.edu
CWRL Systems Analyst		      PH:  512-636-1701
The University of Texas at Austin     FAX: 512-471-6745
                                       http://www.locnar.net