Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 2008 22:56:21 +0100
From:      Jille Timmermans <jille@quis.cx>
To:        Alex Keda <admin@lissyara.su>
Cc:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>, Ed Schouten <ed@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device snp build broken?

Alex Keda schreef:
> Jille Timmermans пишет:
>> Hello,
>>
>> snp(4) in -CURRENT is currently not supported.
>> Ed made a patch for it; which worked for me.
>> You can get the latest version from:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~ed/mpsafetty/
>>
>> (The patch-set also includes other things; like a new /dev/console)
>
> What was the reason not to support the device?
Ed rewrote the TTY system and left out snp(4):
* He didn't thought anyone was really needing it
* Because it reads from a TTY, and writes to another TTY; it would have
caused problems with blocking (full queues, etc)

After a while he got convinced to fix snp(4).
It is now experimental, so only available through his patchset.

But it will make it into HEAD before 8.0.

Ed: Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere

-- Jille