Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:07:33 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Gorkum, L. van (Luitzen)" <L.vanGorkum@cjib.minjus.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing on a Mylex DAC960 18Gb Raid1 (2 disks)

On Apr 25, 2005, at 10:31 AM, Gorkum, L. van (Luitzen) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install de 5.3 version on our AlphaServer 1200 with Mylex
> DAC960 controller.
> Because the first disks are reserved for OpenVMS I placed two 18Gb
> disks
> on the last two slots and made it a Raid1 disk. This disk appears as
> the
> fith disk. The boot from CDROM (disk1) shows that device, sysinstall
> lets me select it but then I don't see the unused (free) space and as a
> result of that I can't create any partition and mountpoints.
>
> Does anyone recognize this and/or has a solution/hint?

Boot up into sysinstall and use the fixit CD option.  When you get into
the shell prompt, use 'bsdlabel' to create a label on the the mlxd0
disk.  Once there is a label there, sysinstall will be able to work
with the disk, so once you've created a label (it doesn't have to have
the correct values on it, so you can just use 'bsdlabel -W auto')
reboot into sysinstall and you should be able to mess with the disk.
I'm sorry that I haven't had time to track down the source of this bug.
  It's been broken since 5.0 (back from when GEOM came in :( ).