Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:29:17 +0200
From:      "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Subject:   Re: ADSL gateway - how to set up?

>> I have a machine running FreeBSD 4.5 STABLE. This machine has two=20
>> NICs in it, one connected to the internal LAN and one connected to
>> a ADSL modem (I'm using PPPoE).
>>
>> I've successfully managed to set them up so that the FreeBSD machine
>> has access to the Internet, that works flawlessly, but I'm not able
>> to get this machine to act as a gateway for other computers on my
>> network.
>>
>> For the time being, internal IP addresses are used, but real once
>> will be put in place in the not so distant future.
>> I've done the following:
>>
>> rc.conf:
>> PPP_NAT=3D"YES"
>> ENABLE_GATWAY=3D"YES"
>>
>> ppp.conf:
>> nat enable yes
>>
>> I then tried the following two solutions:
>>
>> -Routing
>> I assigned an IP address to both NICs and set the default gateway
>> route to point to the IP address of the NIC connected to the ADSL
>> modem, which resulted in tun0 becoming the default route. The
>> problem here, I think, was that both NICs couldn't be on the same
>> subnet. Or maybe I shouldn't have assigned an IP address to the NIC
>> connected to the ADSL modem at all?
>>
>> -Bridge
>> I didn't assign any IP address to the NIC connected to the ADSL
>> modem and cleared all routes. The result was that the machine itself
>> added a default gateway route, which still, correctly, was tun0.
>> Neither of these two did any good. Other computers still can't
>> connect trough this machine. And no, there's no firewall in
>> place (yet).
>>
>> How do I do this? I feel I'm not to far off here, just missing that
>> last piece of the puzzle. And what, if anything, would have to
>> change once I switch to "real" IP addresses?

> If you have ADSL, why then are you using ppp.conf?  Why not use
> dhclient (DHCP, or set static values)?
>
> Your answer does seem to lie in the many -- seemingly overlapping --
> choices in /etc/rc.conf
>
> Try "man ipconfig"

How do I not use ppp.conf? ppp.conf contains, among other tings and
in addition to the above mentioned lines, the user name and password
I've been assigned from my ISP, information about what interface to
run PPPoE over, etc., etc.

I don't run dhclient because the network in question (consisting
of only a few machines) soon will be assigned "real" IP addresses.
Right now the tun0 interface gets configured from my ISP's DHCP server.

And what options in rc.conf are overlapping? Don't I need both
"ENABLE_GATEWAY" and "PPP_NAT"? I would suspect that maybe
"PPP_NAT" in rc.conf and "enable ppp nat" in ppp.conf are overlapping,
but not the listed options from rc.conf?

I don't have access to a FreeBSD machine from here, but I'll try
"man ipconfig" when I do. I tried to look it up trough the FreeBSD
site tough, and it didn't find anything called ipconfig...?

- IT