Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 08:11:30 -0500
From:      Agent Drek <drek@smashpow.net>
To:        ztomasic@houston.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID on the cheap

Zdenko Tomasic wrote:

> We got SGI O2 which needs a bit of storage attached, so I thought of
> using PC running FBSD with vinum and nfs as a cheap RAID box.
> Has anybody tried that or similar set up already?
>
> I guess raid 5 with 3 80GB IDE disks, each possibly on its own
> controller and a 20GB IDE disk for root and more system oriented stuff
> (nonvinum) will do. Are there any NFS issues between SGI and FBSD?
> gotchas?

I have used FreeBSD/vinum as an NFS server for IRIX for some time now
and have had no problems. I worry less now then when I had O200's doing
the job.

> I  would normally prefer scsi setup which would be better, but cost is
> the issue here. What would be recommended as an adequate CPU? PIII-733?

I use the slowest CPU with the fastest bus I can find ... PII450 right
now. I think IDE drives are only ok if you have a seperate controller
for each drive ... search the archives for more about that. Don't cheap
out on the NIC either.

--
    Derek Marshall

Smash and Pow Inc > 'digital plumber'