Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:33:31 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        bms@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-embedded@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/cfi NOR flash driver

On Feb 23, 2008, at 8:30 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <9C903216-6C19-4D6F-80D2-27C161845567@mac.com>
>            Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com> writes:
> : We should have this integrated with CVS shortly.
>
> cool!
>
> btw, do you implement the mtd partitioning from Linux or not?

No, cfi(4) is just a simple driver that allows reading
and writing to NOR flash through the device special file.

The thought is to put some layering on top of it, which
deals more with how the NOR flash is being used. If there's
a file system on the NOR flash, then I expect we'll have
it hooked up to GEOM.

I've been thinking about NAND flash and file systems and
so on and maybe we should merge the NAND and NOR flashes
and come up with a more generic sub-system. We could keep
MTD in mind, but after a quick read I'm not sure I like
their notion of only operating on the "eraseblock". It
seems to ignore the ability to read and write pages and
the fact that OOB is on a per-page level...

Anyway: I'll just import it. It has proven very useful for
us already in its current form and shape and if we want
to come up with something generic that encapsulates both
NOR and NAND, I'm sure that there's cut-n-paste value in
having the driver...

Thoughts?

--
Marcel Moolenaar