Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:57:42 -0700
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Herv=E9_Kergourlay?= <herve.kergourlay@atempo.com>, "Que, Wei-Feng" <weifeng.que@citigroup.com>, Max Laier <max@love2party.net>, Maslan <maslanbsd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Screen Resolution

On May 29, 2005, at 11:42 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Herv=E9 Kergourlay wrote:
>> xorgconfig
>> I launch this tools but I 'm not sure of the screen resolution=20
>> details, vertical refresh rate, horizontal sync rate, ...
>> I fill the answers with standard values
> Do not do this. You must have the details for you monitor. Especially=20=

> if it is a CRT, it could even kill it if the details are wrong.
>
>> but at the end, no xorg.conf file is written on the disk in /etc/X11 =
?

> It has to be there.

No it doesn't.  xorgcfg actually defaults to writing xorg.conf to some=20=

subdirectory of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 or some such nowadays rather than=20
/etc/X11.  You can see that path when you ask it to save the=20
configuration.  Probably the docs need to be updated to include the=20
other more cryptic path as another place to look besides /etc/X11.

--=20
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =3D  http://www.FreeBSD.org=