Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 12:52:59 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: another patch for comment]

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> > here's another patch I'd like to add.
> >
> > hopefully I can also eventually add a '/stand/selftest'
>
> I think this is starting to get a little silly, all these "fall back"
> paths to invoke as init.  Rather than add another, for a total of 5
> init possibilities now, wouldn't a more general mechanism be
> warranted?  Otherwise, I see no reason why you couldn't just keep this
> on your own branch - it doesn't look like something of truly general
> utility.

Something like '/stand/selftest' is something that you want to boot
_instead_ of a kernel, not after the kernel is loaded.

Then you could add code to device drivers conditionalised on SELFTEST
when and as it was desired.

The whole 'loadable device driver' thing is looking more and more like
it will require a significant restructuring of the basic device driver
architecture to do it "right".  I think this is at least partly why
nobody has taken it on - it's a Big Job Of Work.

One of these changes would be a set of mandatory entrypoints : probe,
attach, etc.  One of those could easily be 'selftest'.

--
]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au.au          [[