Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:53:34 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Subject:   Re: what are these characters please?

naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber) wrote

> Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:
>
> > Given that I'm trying to process the cvs-all messages into XML documents
> > (using the perl module XML::Writer which does not do any encoding beyond
> > characters such as >, <, etc), any suggestions as to how to deal with such
> > characters?  I've been looking through cpan but I suspect I'm using the
> > wrong search criteria ("encoding").  Any clues?
>
> Well what encoding do your XML documents use?

It was UTF-8.  Some months ago it changed to ISO-8859-1 when I first
encountered
this type of issue (back then it was Lyngb<F8>l).

> I guess your basic situation is that you are getting unknown
> characters in an unknown encoding.  You then have to manually figure
> out what this is, e.g. you asked here and I'm telling you it's
> character U+00E4.  You can now store this in your encoding of choice.

Given that the incoming characters are supposed to be ISO-8859-1 (which is
what CVS stores (see Tony's message), I'm quite sure the best thing to do
is
just ignore the non-standard characters (i.e. by removing them).

What's your view on that approach?

p.s. I caught your message by reading the archives, I wasn't subscribed
to -chat at the time but I am now.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples