Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:35:38 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Commercial Tripwire available for Linux, not FreeBSD

Today, a client asked me if I would install the commercial version of
Tripwire on his FreeBSD server, which had been compromised and needed a
thorough cleaning. I browsed Tripwire's Web site and then called to confirm
what appeared to be true: Tripwire has no implementation for FreeBSD. They
support Solaris and Red Hat Linux, period -- and are working on an NT port.

The person who answered the phone said that he doubted there would ever be
an implementation for FreeBSD because "no one uses it." When I pointed out
that FreeBSD's estimated user base is two thirds that of Linux, and that
large companies like Yahoo! use Linux, he said, "Well, I'm sorry, but we
haven't even considered doing a port because we don't believe there's any
demand." (Translation: an operating system that doesn't get a lot of press
is assumed not to be in demand.)

Given that, I think that FreeBSD's profile needs a considerable boost.

--Brett Glass