Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:07:32 +0200
From:      Rico Secada <coolzone@io.dk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fw: Time to kill FreeBSD as a Desktop

Hi All.

I have been using FreeBSD as a desktop system, on serveral computers for about one and a half year now. I truly love FreeBSD! But keeping third party ports/packages updated is just to timeconsuming IMHO.

Building everything from ports is ok, on a quick machine, but even on a quick machine building KDE takes a LOT of time. Waiting until the stable packages are ready takes about 2 - 3 weeks, and until then, a lot of other stuff needs to be updated.

Compared to Debian GNU/Linux's "apt-get update && apt-get dist upgrade" command, OR OpenBSD's "pkg-add -u"

>From OpenBSD's man page for "pkg_add":

     -u       Update the given pkgname(s), and anything it depends upon.  If
              no pkgname is given, pkg_add will update all installed packages.
              This relies on PKG_PATH to figure out the new package names.

I really think it is time for FreeBSD to make it more easy to update binary packages, like on OpenBSD.

Best and kind regards,
Rico