Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 1997 08:42:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@tgci.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the signature

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Riley J. McIntire wrote:

> > Date:          Mon, 1 Sep 1997 15:06:40 -0400 (EDT)
> > From:          "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
>
> [snip]
> >
> > 	Here's what I use to dial-up and connect.  I had to su to cat it
> > because it is read protected for the obvious reaons.  Replace the stuff
> > in {}'s with your site specific values.
> >
> > > : adrian@lorax; su root -c "cat /etc/ppp/chat"
>
> Out of curiosity what is the "-c" option?  Does it mean "run the
> command [and exit]" ?  It doesn't seem to be documented under "man
> su".   Is it documented elsewhere?

	Yes, it is just like the '-c' option for sh.  Instead of starting
an interactive shell, the argument is passed to the shell for execution.

	I just double checked the su manpage and found this.  Aparently
all non-su args are simply passed to the su'd shell, so you need to look
at the sh man page for an explination of the '-c' flag.  Unfortunately,
there is no mention of the '-c' flag on the sh man page.

>    If the optional args are provided on the command line, they are passed to
>    the login shell of the target login.  This allows it to pass arbitrary
>    commands via the -c option as understood by most shells.  Note that -c
>    usually expects a single argument only; you have to quote it when passing
>    multiple words.

cheers,

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,