Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2004 03:20:34 +0800 (CST)
From:      =?gb2312?q?wxy?= <wxyrcl@yahoo.com.cn>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install athematica5 for linux on freebsd4.9 successfully

Hi,

I have installed mathematica5 for linux on freebsd4.9 successfully.

The methods are as follows:

A:
modify the script files ---ath/mathematica/Mathematice/MathKernel/mcc,
1.replace #!/bin/sh with #!/compat/linux/bin/sh, as mr. Brooks said

2. Change Linux) into FreeBSD) to recognize operation system.
3.In the two files math and MathKernel, replace /proc/cpuinfo with ${TopDirectory}.

OK.

B:

1.
    Linux)->FreeBSD)
2.
    remove exec form 'exec test -L ...'
3.
    cd /usr/lib
    cp libgmp.so.3 libgmp0.so.3
    rm libgmp.so libgmp.so.3
    ln libgmp0.so.3 libgmp.so
    ln -s /usr/local/Wolfram/5.0/.../Libraries/libgmp.so.3
    ln -s /usr/local/Wolfram/5.0/.../Libraries/libguide.so
    ln -s /usr/local/Wolfram/5.0/.../Libraries/libmkl.so
4.
    In the two files math and MathKernel, replace /proc/cpuinfo with
    ${TopDirectory}.

OK.

Good lucky to everyone.

Xian-Yin Wang
03/20/2004

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 10:48:47PM -0800, jre9@humboldt.edu wrote:
> The handbook includes information for installing Mathematica 4, but I have
> Mathematica 5 and found the handbook's guidelines to be entirely
> irrelevant to version 5.  So here's how I finally figured out how to
> install version 5:
>=20
> First, the binaries are already branded properly (SVR4).  So, mount the cd
> and run the installer.  I installed to /compat/linux/usr/Wolfram/..., and
> put the binary links in /compat/linux/usr/bin .  However, the little
> scripts (in /compat/linux/usr/bin) that start Mathematica don't work for
> FreeBSD:  they report 'unknown OS'.  If you fudge that part, so that it
> reports 'Linux', it simply doesn't work... perhaps something to do with
> the paths coded into the script.  Anyway, I found it much simpler to roll
> my own script and stick it in my bin directory:
> (note: "+" means continue the line)

FYI, the best way to convert scripts associated with linux binaries is
often to replace the #!/bin/sh in them with #!/compat/linux/bin/sh.
This causes them to run with the right paths so they find things under
/compat/linux.

-- Brooks

--=20

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi