Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 2008 05:40:04 GMT
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/127276: ldd invokes linux yes

The following reply was made to PR amd64/127276; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To: John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:01:09 +0200

 John Baldwin wrote:
 > On Wednesday 10 September 2008 01:44:36 pm Dominic Fandrey wrote:
 >>> Number:         127276
 >>> Category:       amd64
 >>> Synopsis:       ldd invokes linux yes
 >>> Confidential:   no
 >>> Severity:       serious
 >> When ldd is used on linux yes it invokes it instead of producing the usual
 > output.
 >> # pkg_info -W /compat/linux/usr/bin/yes
 >> /compat/linux/usr/bin/yes was installed by package linux_base-f8-8_4
 >> # sysctl compat.linux.osrelease
 >> compat.linux.osrelease: 2.6.16
 >>
 >> This behaviour breaks pkg_libchk from the sysutils/bsdadminscripts port.
 >>> How-To-Repeat:
 >> # ldd /compat/linux/usr/bin/yes
 >
 > ldd is not going to work for Linux binaries.  The Linux ldd should be used for
 > Linux binaries.

 I don't need it to work, I just need it not to invoke linux binaries. I'm
 using ldd in a script and by ldd not returning 0 the script should know that
 it hasn't encountered a valid binary. Instead ldd opens a linux binary like
 yes and the script spills out ys (yes) or waits for input from stdin
 (md5sum). I'm pretty certain ldd is in no way meant to invoke programs.