Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:00:16 +1000
From:      TLiddelow@cybec.com.au (Tim Liddelow)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: core group topics

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Erm, "none excepting inertia and fear of chaos, confusion, shock and
> increased entropy all around." :) Inflicting another ABI on our user
> base, one which will result in a new class of packages which all older
> FreeBSD releases cannot run, is NOT something to be considered
> lightly.
>
>                                         Jordan

It doesn't have to be _that_ hard.  The Linux camp did the dual ABI
thing for quite a while.  Sure - the transition wasn't all beer and
skittles but they did it.  And they're reaping the rewards (see

Another thing - so what if OLDER FreeBSD releases can't run the ELF
packages  ?  You have symlinks for packages for a certain release,
right ?  There's no way if I am running FreeBSD 4.0 (ELF) that I would
try to add an a.out package.  And vise versa.  OLDER FreeBSD releases
will continue to use the a.out packages.  New packages would have
to be made for both 2.1.7.x release(s) and the newer ELF release.

Noone is suggesting there aren't going to be hurdles.  What has
to be considered is the cost in remaining a.out, and the advantages
of ELF in the longer term.

We rely on third party (GNU) software that supports ELF "out of the
box".  If we continue down the a.out path for too long, we risk
obscurity in terms of language support, etc.  When gcc 2.8 comes
out (fingers crossed) will it support a.out correctly ?  C++
support on FreeBSD is something that really interests/concerns me.
FreeBSD plugs itself as a great networking/internet server.  What
about a development box ?  ELF is great for development - e.g. Java,
C++, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Tim.