Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:55:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Kraemer <kraemer@u.washington.edu>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bugtraq posts: stream.c - new FreeBSD exploit?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Darren Reed wrote:

> btw, I think the better way to write the 3 rules is:
>
> block in quick proto tcp from any to any head 100
> pass in quick proto tcp from any to any flags S keep state group 100
> pass in all

If I'm not mistaken, this ruleset (and no other rules) will also
effectively block any outgoing TCP sessions initiated from this machine.
The machine will send a SYN, and then get blocked because the input rules
never saw an incoming SYN to start keeping state.

I assume a rule that keeps state on the outgoing would fix this?

-Brian