Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 13:21:16 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.interworks.org>
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, fenner@parc.xerox.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: As of 960608, routed now complains bitterly

In message <31C856E5.41C67EA6@iworks.InterWorks.org> you write:
>No it wasn't routed, but was probably from my PPP startup script in which I
>set the default route.  I'm away from my machine at home, so I can't verify
>this until later tonight (EST).  I'll try running "route monitor" as you
>suggest.

If it was "pppd" itself that added the default route, then perhaps the
problem is that pppd doesn't seem to set RTF_STATIC on the route that
it adds.  Routed assumes that it is responsible for all routes not
mentioned in /etc/gateways that don't have RTF_STATIC set.

This means one of several things:

1 - "pppd" should set RTF_STATIC on the route that it installs.  This
seems a little odd, since RTF_STATIC means a route that was manually
added.  (However, I guess the fact that you put "do-the-default-route-thing"
in your pppd.conf might mean that it's proxy-manually added =)

2 - you need to put something like
"net default gateway <whatever> metric 1 extern" in /etc/gateways.  The
"extern" keyword tells routed that this route is none of its business,
and that someone else (in this case, pppd) will manage the route.

3 - you need to put something like
"net default gateway <whatever> metric 1 passive" in /etc/gateways, and
configure pppd to not install a default route.

Of these options, #1 will make for the most "plug-n-play", I think, but
I'm not all that sure it's architecturally correct.

Just out of curiosity, if pppd is installing a default route for you,
then why do you need to run routed?

  Bill