Date:      Fri, 04 May 2018 12:49:13 +0000
From:      Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@gmail.com>
To:        Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in>
Subject:   Re: email service for a private domain!

On Fri, May 4, 2018, 4:41 AM Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in> wrote:

> i own a domain (kathe.in) which i would like to setup for mail services.
> essentially, i should be able to log-in over ssh and work through my
> emails using mailx.
>
> i have no idea about what is involved and don't know what the search for
> via google.
>
> could i be pointed in the right direction?

I ran my own email system on a domain I own for a few years. It is a _lot_
of work to set it correctly and maintain it.

I ran the postfix MTA, Dovecot for imap, OpenDKIM for DKIM signing,
postfix-policyd-spf-python for SPF verification, and finally ClamAv for
virus scanning.

I may be forgetting a few things in the mix as well. You definitely need a
static IP address. It's may be a bit outdated, but I did write a guide on
this: https://guglielmo.us/cs/postfix.html

A mail server typically has to be running (correctly) for a long time in
order to build up domain authority as a valid email server. Otherwise,
ougoing email will often be marked as spam.

Having said all that, unless you have a lot of time and motivation to
learn, I do recommend that you use a paid service/company to host your
email. I have since switched from running my own to ProtonMail for my
custom domain and I'm very happy with them.

Thanks,
Steve