Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:37:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make  yerkernels

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >
> > > You're not being fair and you know it...
> >
> > In the context of this discussion (using the tools available at present to
> > provide a trouble-free kernel build) I think I was being quite fair.

<snip>

> *slap*

This is getting off-topic for -stable. I don't really have much interest
in the mechanics of a "does it the right way" kernel build mechanism which
handles tool dependencies, my only point was that when you're upgrading
there's only one mechanism we *currently provide* which will DTRT.

I posted because I was sick of the flood of questions after the binutils
upgrade where people were finding their "config"-based mechanism wasn't
working (and in some cases getting misleading or incorrect advice about
how to fix it). I still maintain that people should use this for all
upgrades because it is the only tool for the job, and this is the advice
I'll be handing out to everyone until we have a better solution.

Kris