Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 2009 01:22:00 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating the ports collection

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 15:43:56 -0700
Chris Stankevitz <cstankevitz@toyon.com> wrote:

> The FreeBSD handbook section 4.5.1 describes several methods for
> obtaining the ports collection including CVSup, Portsnap, and
> sysinstall.
>
> Section 4.5.1 also describes how to update the ports collection, but
> only for the CVSup and Portsnap methods.
>
> Q1: How do I update the ports collection after using sysinstall to
> obtain it?

I'd suggest that you don't use the tree from sysinstall, unless your
intent is not to update the tree until the next release.

If you use portsnap the tree gets overwritten with the "extract", so
you might as well not bother with the on-disk version.

If you use csup then the steps are

1. Set the tag to match the port snapshot on the disc and run csup

2. Set the tag to "." (the current tree) and run csup again

Step 1 does nothing to the tree, but if you skip it you may end with
some stale files left in your tree, which could cause serious problems.
IMO this is more trouble than it's worth unless you have a dialup
connection.