Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 19:55:05 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for Mr good mail archiver port...[OT ?]

Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr> types:
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:
> > Once WAIS started blowing on my personal folder, I found that standard
> > Unix tools work fairly well. I sort the mail out into directories by
> > month, one message per file. So doing things like "look for a message
> > in june or july about SCSI disks" turns into:
> >
> >     find 2001-0[67] -type f | xargs grep -i "^subject:.*scsi"
> >
> [snip]
>
> Which reminds me a lot of MH folders.

My archive contains MH folders, folders from my home-grown Amiga UMA,
and qmail Maildirs.

> I think I'll try to have procmail split the mail automagically in MH
> folders depending on the `year-month', as in:
>
> 	~/Mail/freebsd-questions/2001/09/*
> 	~/Mail/freebsd-questions/2001/10/*

qmail makes doing this kind of thing easy. Just create
freebsd-questions as a maildir, and have your .qmail deliver the
-questions mail to that. The newest stuff will then be in
freebsd-questions/new. You then use a periodic/monthly script that
moves all the messages that arrived last month to the appropriate
directory in freebsd-questions. I think my script would take three
changes to make it do what you want: change the outdir from
$year-$month to $year/$month, the cd to the archive directory, and
adding a "-p" to the mkdir.

> I really loved the ideas that started popping up with your message, Mike.
> Thanks a lot :)

You're welcome.

Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.