Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:54:29 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@jwweeks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tuning suggestions?

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:41:00 -0500 (EST), in sentex.lists.freebsd.isp you
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Shortly after making world, striping the kernel, upgrading apache,
>and installing WebGUI on a couple of websites (WebGUI requires
>mod_perl to preload Apache::Registry), I began to get these two
>errors.
>
>pmap_collect: collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing
>PMAP_SHPGPERPROC microuptime() went backwards (613878.982533 ->
>613874.389277)
>
>This machine sees fairly heavy MySql use and moderate httpd load.
>It has been faithfully doing its job for a couple of years now from
>3.0 - 4.7-stable and has never given a problem.  I have read man
>tuning, LINT, and searched the archives on these two errors and
>really haven't come up with a lot of information.  The following
>lines from lint are sketchy at best.
>
>-------------------------
># If you're tweaking this, you might also want to increase the
>sysctls # "vm.v_free_min", "vm.v_free_reserved", and "vm.v_free_target".
># # The value below is the one more than the default.  # options
>PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=3D201
>-------------------------
>
>Could upping PMAP_SHPGPERPROC by 1 actually be that beneficial?
>And, could removing apm from the kernel have caused the microuptime
>problem?  I am pasting in dmesg system information for reference.

I would get rid of APM yes, and increase PMAP_SHPGPERPROC.  Lint is =
saying
the default is 200. It was a few months ago and I forget how I arrived at
the number, but we saw the same thing on a busy apache/mySQL server so we
increased the value to 400 and the problem went away.  There is 768MB of
RAM on that box.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)=09
http://www.sentex.net/mike