Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:14:44 -0700
From:      Tom Vilot <tom@vilot.com>
To:        Francis Whittington <fewjr@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: just finished install

Hello, Francis

>    My main computer is WinXP (because the rest of the family uses it). It is connected to Adelphia cable modem via a D-Link, DI-524 wireless router. My Daughter is connected to internet via the WLAN. My freeBSD box is connected to modem via a crossover cable. bsd box has 96MB of RAM, Riva-TNT 16MB videocard on a intel 440 EX MoBo.
>    I was going to use the bsd box as a router/firewall, but i don't know enough yet...so it is just a stand alone station. My problem right now is that I want to be able to see the rest of the network from the bsd box. I cannot ping the other 2 machines. And without X, I am not sure what to use to see if I am hitting internet with it. Yeah...I know i'm a newbie.

Okay, first of all ... if you are connecting the BSD machine to the
cable modem directly, it is natural that you can not see the rest of
your local area network (assuming I understand you correctly).

What you want is to connect the BSD box to a hub (without the crossover
cable, obviously). The other computers, then, are connected to that hub
either via ethernet cable or via wireless.

Second, you are probably having issues with X because of the video card.
My suspicion is that you don't have a driver for that card, and I do not
even know if it is supported on BSD. Others on this list can probably
answer that better than myself.