Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:36:48 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        wsanchez@apple.com
Cc:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apple's open source...

Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

> Note we've been doing this for some time (though not yet with
> FreeBSD), independant of Darwin.

You guys should consider another name for that project, since the entire
UNIX world automagically subsitutes /Darwin/Sun Ultra-5 and Ultra-10/.
You're not doing yourselves any favors, and they beat you to the
punch by almost a year.

> | I think what irritated
> | me the most was that Eric Raymond was invited to the launch, and that
> | Linux was given most of the credit in the press - while Eric Raymond
> | subtly slammed us with comments about Linux having a 'better licensing
> | situation and better social organisation'.  It would have been really

<Snort>  I wonder what he's going to say when the Alan Cox cabal becomes
the Linux core team?  He's going to look awfully stupid when Linux
adopts our "inferior social organization" out of sheer necessity, isn't
he?

> | nice to have some BSD people there.  How about also putting FreeBSD
> | on that Dell Poweredge on
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/apache.html
> | or did it beat out the Mac...
>
>   The reason Linux is on the Dell and not FreeBSD, is because that
> is a marketing document, and the world knows about Linux, and there
> is a perception that Linux tends to kick butt over commercial

Still and all, having a BSDer or two hanging around to refute the swill that
comes out of ESR's mouth would have been a good idea...

> software. In fact, the Linux machine beats the Sun machine in the
> picture, so that seems a fair perception.

If you want an interesting experiment, try putting Linux on that Sun machine
and watch it kick everyone's butt, including yours.  Judging the performance
of that little SPARC by strangling it with Slowlaris makes marketing sense,
but isn't a *fair* test...  ;^)

Oh, and by the way: cool machine.  Knock 'em dead.  I'd buy one if I had the
bucks.  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com