Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2020 18:27:53 +0300
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Src of any simple data plotting graphic program under X-Windows needed

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 5:29 PM Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 22:00:49 +0800, thor wrote:
> > I need some specialized program that should just read a data file and
> > plot it in X-windows. No dependencies, no toolkits - just an absolutely
> > bare minimum. I just have neither a disk space on target system for any
> > specialized toolkits nor time to study them.
>
> I'd suggest GNUplot. It can process "linear" data as well
> as CSV files, and write to the X display or to an image
> file (or EPS).
>

> > Long time ago (some 20 years or so) in FreeBSD 3 times I used a
> > primitive program named xperfmon3 that plotted the current processor use
> > etc but it expired due to absence of a maintainer and I cannot find it.
>
> Yes, I remember that program.
>
> In case you want to plot system usage data, check out
> xload, xmbmon, xcpufreq.
>

> > Are there in port tree any similar simple programs that could be used as
> > a prototype?
>
> If your data is simple, and your displaying requirements
> are simple, you can probably write your own solution using
> toools like Perl or Python, where there are plenty of
> libraries and examples for data plotting. In case you don't
> want to deal with that, consider testing gnuplot, even though
> it's not exactly "lightweight" in terms of dependencies...
>
> For example, if this is your data:
>
>          1 12.5
>          2 13.5
>          3 14.8
>          4 14.2
>          5 13.2
>          6 14.0
>          7 14.9
>          8 13.6
>          9 14.9
>         10 15.8
>         11 13.3
>         12 13.7
>
> You can use the following gnuplot control file to plot them:
>
>         set title '2008 (12.9)'
>         set size 3.0, 1.0
>         set xr [1:12]
>         set yr [0.0:25.0]
>         set border
>         set grid
>         set xtics 1, 1
>         set ytics 0, 5
>         plot '2008.dat' using 1:2 title 'BZ' with lines linewidth 5
>         set term postscript eps color
>         set output '2008.eps'
>         replot
>
> Further postprocessing is possible (in this specific case, I
> used awk, LaTeX, and a sh wrapper for automated document
> generation and data export files).
>
> Basically, you can use gnuplot without a control file - in most
> cases, the data files will be plotted as you expect, or you can
> embed the data in the control files (only useful for smaller
> amounts of data and "single use" situations, or for experimenting
> with the parameters). For similarly structured data, you can use
> one control file to process many input data files.
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> [...]

gnuplot is NOT related to GNU .

In its web site

http://www.gnuplot.info/
http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/
http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/

there are much material to be utilized for learning .

It is a port :
https://www.freshports.org/math/gnuplot/

There is another a nice program in Python :

https://matplotlib.org/

It is a port :
https://www.freshports.org/math/py-matplotlib/