Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 07:21:55 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NW+IOP Presentation

It went reasonably well, gave out half of the CD's. Participation wasn't
great, auditorium was only half full (~45). My talk was well received,
but I didn't sense a lot of movement from the 'suits' portion of the
crowd. What, I have to learn to do it myself? I can't just reboot and
solve all my problems? <raspberry> John Gallant (Sr. Editor of NWW) was
definitely interested, he asked for an eval copy.

Out on the floor, the main comment I got was that we need to find a way
to generate hard numbers. Our first target need not be W-NT, but if we
can show comparable numbers of servers or seats to an HP or Sun or AIX,
we will be on their radar screens for serious products like Netective
and Oracle and such, things we need. These people don't care how much
your hardware or OS costs, only that we are a viable potential customer
for them. We are, we just need to convince them of that. They are also
well aware that we exist and that our platform works. That is not the
problem. Numbers to convince beancounters, that IS the problem.

--> Don