Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:19:26 +1000
From:      russell <russm-freebsd-questions@slofith.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   disabling USB in install kernel

Hi all,

I'm trying to get FreeBSD installed on a Sony VAIO U50, but the install
kernel never gets past probing the USB devices and I can't for the life
of me work out how to disable USB. In OpenBSD I "boot -c" to bring up
the user kernel config and then "disable uhci*" and all is good, but
the FreeBSD equivalent eludes me. The ports are all USB2, and the
the BIOS to not emulate a PS-2 keyboard and mouse - unfortunately my
BIOS doesn't have any options along those lines.

I'm PXE-booting the 5.3B4 installer, at the beastie screen I drop to
the loader prompt, and then

set hint.uhci.0.disabled=1
set hint.uhci.1.disabled=1
set boot_userconfig=1
boot

but I never see the userconfig screen and the kernel boots the same as
if none of those options were set. Here is the tail end of the messages
the kernel shows - after the second uhub1 message it just stops (I've
left it for 10 minutes or so and there's no progress). Any suggestions
would be much appreciated.

uhci0: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB Controller USB-A> port 0x1820-0x183f
irq 9 at device 29.0 on pci0
uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
usb0: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB Controller USB-A> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci1: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB Controller USB-B> port 0x1840-0x185f
irq 9 at device 29.1 on pci0
uhci1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
usb1: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB Controller USB-A> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

cheers

Russell