Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:54:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        ccba <ccba@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LAN Postscript Printers

Yes, most of those bridges were designed to provide Ethernet connections
for older LocalTalk Macs & printers as people upgraded to Ethernet. This
means they usually supported EtherTalk, not TCP/IP, and you need AppleTalk
support in your kernel (NETATALK).

The IIf and only supported RS232 and LocalTalk. No Ethernet. The IIg did
support Ethernet, as EtherTalk, but both printers had nasty language and
port sensing problems. If you get one of these be sure to lock it to one
setting for each of page description and I/O, say, PostScript over
Ethernet, and you should be okay. Haven't tried one in years. Oh, and be
sure to get at least 4MB in a IIf and 8 in a IIg. RAM prices were high
back then and they were sold with 2 & 5MB, respectively. This handicapped
their maximum page sizes, especially with PhotoGrade (grayscale). Everyone
complained about "cropped" pages. Both worked best with 8MB.

Now to clean off the spiderwebs,
Dave