Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:39:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Vaibhave Agarwal <vaibhave@cs.utah.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, current@FreeBSD.org, chris@gnome.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 6.0 doesnt detect local APIC on a Pentium 3 machine

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, John Baldwin wrote:

> We don't detect the local APIC via MSR's or the APIC bit in cpu_features, but
> rely on a working MP Table or MADT table to setup both the local APIC(s) and
> I/O APIC(s).  Does your machine have a valid MP Table or an APIC table in its
> acpidump?  Many UP machine BIOSes don't include those tables.

I think you are right.
There is no valid APIC table in the acpidump.
The only place where APIC is mentioned in the acpidump(8) is in following:

Scope (\_SB)
{
	Name (APIC, 0x00)
        Method (_PIC, 1, NotSerialized)
        {
            Store (Arg0, APIC)
        }
}

And I suppose APIC is disabled in the BIOS too.
Is there a way to enable APIC using software, without changing the BIOS,
since I dont have access to the BIOS, as it is a remote machine (with
root access) ?

Thanks
vaibhave