Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 06:26:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall@mail.double-barrel.be>
To:        Yev <phate1@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resizing partitions?

I personally use :

/ 		100MB
/swap		2x actual memory upto max off 256MB
/var 		200MB
/usr		1600MB
/home 		100MB per user
/usr/local 	rest of disc

However some may have a different sceme they use. but my personal
rationale behind this is as followes :
/ 	can be small enough to just hold the kernel kernel.generic
        kernel.old and what else needs to be on /
swap	if you have 32MB to 128MB their may be a time that swap is needed
	so give it 2 times the physical size. if you have more memory swap
        off 256MB is actually a luxury but ..
/usr	make it just big enough so you can recompile the os and leave the
	ports inplace so you don't have to redownload all the ports after
	your upgrade.
/home	100Mb or so per user is enough for most users to store all their
	personal data during 3 - 6 months..This is enough for them to have
        a reasonable on line archive.
/usr/local is the place where all the software will live you install so
	   make it big enough.

Michael
---
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28			http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/
B 9000 Gent			ftp://ftp.double-barrel.be/pub/linux/
Belgium				tel : 32-9-2227764 Fax : 32-9-2224976