Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:08:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rohit Grover <rohit@gojuryu.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   larger kernel virtual address space

Hello Hackers,

I am running Freebsd-4.3RELEASE on a Intel 686 box with roughly
2GB of RAM. I want most of this RAM to be used for the buffer cache.
I have been playing with cpu_startup() (i386/i386/machdep.c) with
the intention of increasing 'nbuf' but I am limited by the size of
the 'kernel_map'. kernel_map is limited to 1GB (am I right?). Is
there a way to use >1GB of kernel virtual address space?

thanks,
Rohit.