Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 17:22:08 +0200 (EET)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kirk's soft-update integration..

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> As long as you can make a "binary weapon" out of this, where we
> incorporate only those non-poison-pilled portions into FreeBSD (just
> as OpenBSD has done) and leave it up to the user to add the specially
> licenced files, I don't see a problem.  In fact, I'd really LIKE to
> see this happen so that those who just want to play with the soft
> update code and have no commercial aspirations can do so.

	People, this great feature and advanced performance enhancement
	shouldn't be missed!  It should dramatically increase
	the performance of say Usenet servers, or Samba/NFS
	fileservice etc.

> Heck,
> even the commercial folks can play, they'll just have to line up
> and pay Kirk like you guys did. ;)

	A question.  Say I, an ISP employer, am going to
	use FreeBSD as a mail-relay for my company.  Just
	a single installation, stable FreeBSD version, probably
	with custom configuration and set of tools -- but not
	a binary FreeBSD-based product.  Just a single server
	which works for the company and is maintained by company's
	personnel.

	Am I permitted to use the code in this situation?

	Another story.  A customer asks me to set up a combined
	Internet/intranet server for him with some
	firewall functionality also.  Ok, I'm giving
	him FreeBSD+IPfilter+other tools for free,
	taking some money for my time and work spent doing this
	and teaching customer's sysadmin to use the box.

	Is it Ok to use the code in this way?

	And yet another scenario.  My personal workstation at work
	where I do some scripting, some ISP housekeeping etc.
	It's my *personal* workstation, -- but it is at work.

	Probably I'm allowed to use the code here, but am I really allowed?

	Thanks!

> 					Jordan

Best regards,
Andrew Stesin