Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 03:13:58 -0800
From:      Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>
To:        eT <eT@KryptoKom.DE>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what's in a name?

At 11:57 AM +0100 1999-03-03, eT wrote:
> you know, this whole lin*x thing has me baffled.  ... i am wondering
> why linux has a larger user/suport base in the first place?  could it be t=
hat
> the word linux just 'sounds' more like a friendly operating system than
> FreeBSD?  and that because of this new users are more susceptible to
> using it?

Yes!

Linux is warm and fuzzy, like Linus, the kid with the fuzzy blanket. =
 FreeBSD is techie and acrinomious, acronymical.  (Yes, I know, there will=
 be a chorus of fans who like it to sound techie.)  And it sounds like=
 freebie, which has the connotation of el cheapo marketing.

> is linux perhaps a more 'marketable' name than FreeBSD?

Absolutely.
> why not let's change the name FreeBSD to some variant
> of linux?  i agree that the time for advocacy has come upon us more
> than ever before!

schroedix?
snoopix?
peanix?   (this one makes me laugh)
blankie?
blankix?

fuzzix?

paulinx?
VitaminCeex?

warmvm?
steamingvm?

weenix?
geex?
geexooks?
wannabeex?

berx?  (not good for the U.K. -- well, it would make for a good book title:
        berx for Berks.)

;-)

I'm getting carried away...

But seriously, there's a totally great name out there waiting to be discover=
ed.

Do you think Zip drives would have caught on as well if they had been called=
 Bernoulli III? or FloppyXYZ?

Dave

Too much crazed wordplay for one night...