Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:17:54 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: Ok, that's it, enough is enough! (rpc.lockd)

Well, I am starting to get pretty seriously involved.  It looks pretty
easy, just a lot of small details  (this is the kind of coding I like :)

A couple of issues need to be worked out.  First I need to backport
the FH open/stat/etc. calls to -STABLE.  The main reason for this is that
I am developing rpc.lockd for out main servers, which for obvious reasons
run -STABLE.  Second I need some input and advice.  Looking at Solaris'
lockd, they use NLM version 2 as a method of IPC between lockd and statd
this is an undocumented interface.  I would suggest a unix domain socket
as an alternate method (any objections).  This I feel has a number of
advantages, such as providing an easier Kernel interface to the user-land
lock manager (it is my reading that rpc.lockd should perform the tasks of
maintaining local locks on remote servers as well as managing locks on local
filesystems from remote servers.)

Thank you to the person who provided the Open-Group Spec.  I had read that it
was available from them in the NFS3 RFC, I just figured I would need to pay
much $$$ to actually get it :)

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Acting Lab Director                       | NYSLP: FREEBSD