Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:43:14 -0400
From:      Barrett Richardson <rabtter@orion.aye.net>
To:        dyson@iquest.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I want to break binary compatibility.

Many thanks to all who pitched in with information. I believe I now have
enough info to start building some systems for my ISP (the owner is also
a personal friend of mine from a previous job -- just to clarify some
ambiguity
in my original posting). The crackers have expressed intent of breaking
into our systems again and I think they are going to gain access one way
or another (via social engineering if nothing else). Scrambling the
syscalls I think is
going to have big payoffs per amount of work and I had a look at
stackguard
per a suggestion. Its a beautifully simple concept, throw a randomly
generated
word before the return address for a function and have the compiler emit
code to insure that it is not clobbered before returning from said
function.

I do, however have good news to report after our system breach. We did
have
a quad Challenge DM with 384 megs of RAM. Out of necessity we threw our
virtual domains (about 330) on a Pentium 133 with 128 megs of RAM and
decided to let it run till it choked before we slapped more RAM and a
faster processor in it. The SGI was doing other significant thing other
than virtaul domains, but those were responsible for about half the load
--
and the SGI was struggling. The choking point we were dreading with our
FreeBSD box never came -- still sitting there humming along while we are

-

Barrett Richardson                    rabtter@aye.net