Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:35:20 -0600
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        clement@FreeBSD.org, ache@freebsd.org, dinoex@FreeBSD.org, sumikawa@FreeBSD.org, ports@rbt.ca, kiwi@oav.net, se@FreeBSD.org, anders@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   htpasswd split-out w/ HTTPD ports

--jJVMc5+FiwMz9o91

Hi,

I am emailing you because you are a maintainer of a port which
installs the htpasswd utility.  This utility hasn't changed much
in usage since the NCSA httpd days, but is still distributed with
every HTTP server, causing needless conflicts.  In particular, on
my server I need both Apache 2 and thttpd installed.  The *ONLY*
thing that conflicts between the two is htpasswd and htpasswd.1.
I assume there are other similar conflicts, but have not looked
at them yet.  Basically, this is a strawman implementation.

To resolve this, I've created a patch for www/{thttpd,apache2}
and made a new htpasswd port which uses the thttpd
implementation (mainly for simplicity).  Please see:

http://firepipe.net/ports/htpasswd/

for my suggested method.  At the very least, I would like apache2
and thttpd to cooperate (so I don't have to keep removing the
stupid CONFLICTS every time I need to upgrade or install).  I
suspect it may be beneficial for others, but will leave it up to
you all to decide.  Please give me feedback regardless.

Note that the apache2 and thttpd patches do not add a dependency
on the htpasswd port, because I'm not sure if it's necessary.
However, for POLA, they probably should be included.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
--=20
wca