Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:18:12 -0500
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selectively forbidding login

I believe a user will be allowed FTP login if their shell is in
/etc/shells.  I'm not %100 sure on what nologin does (not on a FreeBSD
box right now), but I'm guessing that if it is a shell that is made up
of something like "int main() { return 0; }" it should be safe to put
in /etc/shells.

+---- Steven Lake wrote:
| 	Ok, I've looked around and tried the suggestion to modify a user's
| login so that it reads /sbin/nologin for the shell to prevent user from
| logging into ssh, but it also blocks them from logging in via FTP and all
| other services as well.
|
| 	All I want it to do is prevent a user from logging into the server via
| anything but FTP.  I want them to have FTP access and when they login
| they land in their home directory with the path showing in the FTP
| program as "/", but nothing else.  How would I best go about this?
|
| 	AKA.  When a user does "PWD" all they see is "Current directory is
| /" instead of the full path and when they do a CD.. they can't go any
| higher in the directory structure.  Basically put I'm wanting to set users
| so that they can't see anything on the server except their home directory.
|
| 	Thanks again!

| with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

+---end quoted text---

--
Steve Tremblett
Cisco Systems