Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:43:46 +1030
From:      "Marc Dodsworth" <marcd@internode.on.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Missing somthing on setting up ADSL connection

Hi

I've had a client running a shared internet connection using FreeBSD and a
dialup connection but seem to have hit a little snag with moving them across
to an ADSL connection.  I've followed the instructions from
www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd about setting up  dual honed host.

Baiscally the problem is that I need to allow a couple of the workstations
to access an external ISP's mail server for retrieving e-mail (I know using
fetchamil to the FreeBSD system would be better but certain circumstances
rule this out).  I can get name resolution so it's not a dns problem but
more a routing problem and the workstations can get out using Squid.

The FreeBSD system is fitted with 2 Realtek 8139 based cards which are
working properly.  The modem is an Alcatel Ethernet DSL modem and the ISP
does not require the use of an PPPoE software.

The client is supplied with a fixed IP address by the ISP with the DSL modem
being preset to *.*.230.205 and the client's starting address as *.*.203.206
both netmask 255.255.255.252.  Internally the client is using 10.0.0.*
addresses.

I don't have the rc.conf file with me but the software is set to be a
gateway and I have created the natd.conf file.

Thankx for any assistance

Marc