Date:      Tue, 1 May 2012 08:25:11 -0400
From:      Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptop very hot and noisy

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> I run 10-current on Compaq 6715s.
> It's very hot and noisy. If I boot
> in verbose mode, I get lots of:
>
> acpi_tz0: _AC2: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 50.0
> acpi_tz0: _AC1: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 60.0
> acpi_tz0: _AC3: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 40.0
> acpi_tz0: _AC2: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 50.0
> acpi_tz0: _AC1: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 60.0
>
> at the console.
>
> I guess it's telling me that the CPU is too hot?
>
> Is that normal, e.g. under "make -j4 buildworld"?

Probably not. I had a laptop with similar symptom when I was compiling
stuff. I took it apart, cleaned it and thought that maybe these log
messages were normal under stress. The CPU eventually fried and only
then I took a real close look and the heatsink had a very tiny little
hole where the fluid escaped, but it was not at all apparent at first
sight. These liquid (or gel?) filled heatsinks are basically useless
if the liquid escapes or evaporates so it will usually only show when
you are using the CPU a lot.

--
Alejandro Imass