Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:17:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Cc:        pfg1+@pitt.edu, dbutter@wireless.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support?

In message <200012141156.EAA02263@schizoid.village.org> Robert Swindells writes:
: As far as I can tell, the hpcmips kernel reuses the WinCE MMU
: translations; all the arm32 ones rely on a bootloader to map RAM
: to 0xf0000000.

The hpcmips kernel doesn't do that.  The hpcmips loader does that.
Once the stuff is loaded into memory, the kernel takes over.  Part of
that takeover is blowing away the TLB.  Once the tlb has been reset,
the old WinCE mappings are gone for good.

: I mainly want the NetBSD SA-11x0 port to work on our own hardware
: where I can just put a different image into flash, so I am not looking
: at supporting loading on top of WinCE.

OK.  The reason that the hpcmips guys went that was was that there's a
huge number of WinCE devices, some of which you can get very cheaply,
that do not have the option of Flash at all.  WinCE is in Mask
Programmable Roms.

Warner