Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2012 17:43:21 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Subject:   Re: Querying a cvsup server

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:53:58 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> writes:
> >
> >> Is there a way to query one of the FreeBSD cvsup mirrors, something
> >> like 'svn list -v svn:...' (only with cvs or csup)?  I'm looking to
> >> find the revision or date of a file.
> >
> > Anonymous CVS is probably the best approach for you.
> > It's covered in the Handbook.
>
> The goal is to check arbitrary files on FreeBSD cvsup servers to see
> if they are up to date.  AFAIK, there are only a couple of anoncvs
> servers and the normal cvsupN.freebsd.org servers don't do that.

This is one of the reasons I maintain a local copy of the CVS repo
which I keep up-to-date via csup.  Comes in quite handy at times.

In fact, the CVS repo is the *only* thing I update directly via csup.
I then do all my /usr/{doc,ports,src} updates from the local repo.
Great for creating patches for submission, too.

HTH

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net