Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 20:52:05 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Resolution:  FDP reorganisation

On 1999-06-24 13:43:24 -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> >  * At some point this weekend (to be decided by CVS Rep. Manager John Polstra)
> >  * the doc/ repository will be frozen.  It will then be moved aside, and a
> >  * new doc/ repository created.
> >  *
> >  * All the English documentation from the old repository will be copied in to
> >  * its new location in the tree, retaining all the CVS logs, revision
> >  * histories, and so on.
> >  *
> >  * This will be carried out by John.
> >
> > Are you sure this will work?  As I remember, you can't really "move
> > aside" an old repository -- people who have the stuff checked out will
> > have their cvs updates scream at them.  But if John says it's ok, I
> > have no problem with that.
>
> What I actually said was, "I should be able to take a look in detail
> this weekend and hopefully do it."  In other words, I haven't yet
> had time to figure out exactly what Nik wants to do or whether it's
> OK.  Nik caught us at a time when all the repository managers are very
> busy, and that's just the way things go sometimes.  For me it's likely
> to last through the summer at least.  Smaller scale requests are much
> easier to fit in than large scale requests, and this is the biggest
> restructuring I've ever seen.

I'm busy too for the next months. I don't have the time to fix the web
pages after a repository copy. If someone will break the web pages he
has to fix the pages himself or I will freeze the web server.

I did the last restructuring of the web server. It was
a lot of work.

repository copy: 		guess a 1/2 day for John
fixing Makefiles and links: 	1 1/2 days for me
observing the error log files
and other bugs:                 1 day for me

fixing the non-english pages:   guess 2 days

In summary, 5 working days ...

The FDP reorganisation is much larger. Does we have one
week manpower for free? Or one month?? I doubt ...

We will pay a high price for a low benefit. The world is not perfect
and FreeBSD is not perfect. We should not try to implement an ideal
world and fix all problems of languages, dialects, character sets at
once.

For example, it is evil to type:
	$ cvs co doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1

if you can do it with
	$ cvs co doc/en

Renaming 'en_US.ISO_8859-1' to 'en' makes the life of a developer only
harder. I know the english language use ISO_8859-1, why the hell
should I type it every time I checkout the english documentation?!

Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org> http://wolfram.schneider.org