Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:03:56 +0100
From:      Daniel Bond <db@danielbond.org>
To:        Christopher Arnold <chris@arnold.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update painfully slow - slower than source code build of world and kernel

The same could be said about CVSup, one could write a caching cvsup
proxy-server, and then we could just get rid of all the other cvsup-
servers, except two (like freebsd-update soon will have). The point
is, for portsnap and freebsd-update to scale properly, it needs to be
opened up to the public, like CVSup is. People running a single server
at home, or maybee two, most like won't want to set up a PROXY server,
and they would be required to update both servers at the same day for
the Proxy server to actually cache something - which many may not
want. And there are a lot of people running a few servers, here and
there.

Sure, a national squid-proxy could work - although, there is no
individual proxy setting for portsnap/freebsd-update.. It honors
HTTP_PROXY environment variable, which a lot of other tools also use.
Some tools might not work via this proxy, especially for local
addresses - the administrators of these servers probably don't want
all the ports tarballs to go via these, and people could use them for
nasty things. So, then we are back to manually setting/specifying the
proxy-server, each time one wants to run the commands - which people
might forget. (Is this getting complicated enough yet..?) We would
basically be creating a whole lot of new potential problems for the
users, to solve the problem in question..

I am also interested in learning how the portsnap protocol works,
maybe there are potential issues with it, that a second eye might
spot, or room for improvement? From what I gather, Colin is a very
cleaver guy, so it is not very likely, but still, other people could
learn from it.

I would like to see these tools as the default recommended tools to
use in the future, and that is why I am so worried about this.
The point I am trying to make is, or actually the question is: Why is
freebsd-update (and portsnap) so secretive? Why can't the average Joe
run his own portsnap-mirror at home? What are we afraid of?

I don't see any problems with this, except maybe loosing some detail
in Colin's nice graphs (which would be the case for proxies too).

Cheers,

Daniel.