Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/14287: Fix distfile survey for databases/cdb

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Ade Lovett wrote:
:-> That's not what fetch says:
:->
:-> 	anaconda 8% fetch http://pobox.com/~cdb/cdb-0.55.tar.gz
:-> 	fetch: cdb-0.55.tar.gz: resource has moved temporarily to `http://members.xoom.com/zero_carioca//cdb-0.55.tar.gz'
:-> 	fetch: cdb-0.55.tar.gz: resource has moved temporarily to `http://fourohfour.xoom.com/Members404Error.xihtml'
:-> 	Receiving cdb-0.55.tar.gz: 21 Kbytes
:-> 	22074 bytes transferred in 2.5 seconds  (8.79 Kbytes/s)
:->
:-> > The pobox.com URL returns a 302 (Moved Temporarily). A 301 response
:-> > would be given if that URL is out of date - check the HTTP spec for
:-> > details.

That's the service pobox provides - it redirects URLs (and email) so
you can use a fixed address (the pobox.com one) as you move to
different ISPs.

:-> So for now, I believe the correct patch to be to change both references
:-> to this site.  At least, they need to be made consistent.  The redirect
:-> from pobox.com -> uic.edu has been in there quite a while now, suggesting
:-> that the 'temporary' move is somewhat less than temporary (but we'll
:-> leave the semantic wars for -chat :)

Note that in HTTP/1.2, "Moved Temporarily" has changed to "Found",
which more correctly describes the use that pobox is making of
it. Unless there's strong evidence that that pobox account is going
away, I'd say they should be left that way.

	<mike