Date:      Sat, 11 May 2019 21:37:52 +0200
From:      Georg Bege <georg@bege.email>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD 12 on a POWER7

Hello mailing list,

I've tried to install FreeBSD 12 on a POWER 740 today.
As far as I know POWER7 should be supported, I couldnt find a lot of=20
information - but ... it should be.
While Im an experienced FreeBSD user, this is my *first* POWER installati=
on.

I chose to boot the ISO:
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/powerpc/powerpc64/ISO-IMAGES/12=
.0/FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-powerpc-powerpc64-dvd1.iso

I didnt try other releases, as I were running out of time.
Since the machine has a DVD drive, I booted via SMS from this device and=20
the loader started.
However it was unable to find the kernel.
My initial guess is that while it was accessing the media, it couldnt=20
find the media path??

I've made a couple of photos with my mobile, I'll put them online and I=20
hope its not too offensive on a ML.
At this time I was quite in a hurry and I forgot to make carbon-copies=20
of all of my terminal output.

Image showing bootup after SMS:
https://imgur.com/a/7JWZqRT

Also commands like 'ls /' etc. werent possible either.
I managed to boot a Gentoo Linux LiveCD however, that worked fine.

Has someone any advice how I can proceed debugging this?
Would you say this is an issue regarding booting from this DVD, I could=20
also try booting via network.

best regards,
Georg