Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:03:20 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAC

On 11/13/04 07:14 PM, Peter Harmsen sat at the `puter and typed:
> I have added an additional login class (the insecure class from the
> FreeBSD handbook example) to "/etc/login.conf".In /boot/loader.conf
> i entered all the necesary modules that should be loaded according
> to the FreeBSD handbook.
> Allmost everything works execpt Xorg with nvidia driver installed.
> I get the following mesage when running startx: ' xf86Vidmem:Address
> 0xde601000 outside range '.Is something regulating or restricting
> the memory addresses, or should i add something to the example
> /etc/policy.contexts ?

I'm using Xorg with NVIDIA and I'm having no trouble at all.  Not to
say it was easy.

What's your Card config?

I doubt mine will apply directly to your setup, since I'm using a dual
head setup, but the card itself is configured as follows:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "NV AGP TwinView"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        Driver "nvidia"
        # update this with the PCI id of your card.  Consult the output
        # of the 'lspci' command. The  BusID is usually optional when
        # only using one graphics card.
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"

        # sample twinview setup
        Option "TwinView"
        Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31-80"
        Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"       "56-75"
        Option "TwinViewOrientation"    "RightOf"
        Option "MetaModes"      "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1024x768,1024x768"
        Option "ConnectedMonitor"       "crt,crt"
EndSection

It should be fairly easy to figure out which options are related to
the dual setup (all of the "Option" entries, actually).  Notice I
don't have any memory info defined.  The driver will detect that
automagically:

(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kBytes

This is from /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and it indicates the available
memory was probed.

HTH & Good luck
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Commitment, n.:
  [The difference between involvement and] Commitment can be
  illustrated by a breakfast of ham and eggs.  The chicken was
  involved, the pig was committed.