Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:59:09 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup, cvs & directory permissions....

I maintain /usr/ncvs via cvsup.  By default, the directories in /usr/ncvs are
root.wheel, mode 755.  This means you need to be root to do a "cvs get"
because RCS needs to create lock files in the cvs repository.

I often check out various bits of the -CURRENT source so I can compare with
what's in /usr/src (which is -STABLE).  I wanted to do this as me rather than
root, for all the obvious reasons. So I chmod'd all the directories to 775, I
was already in group wheel, and all was fine.

Until the next cvsup which did a heap of SetAttrs operations and put the
directories back to 775.  :<

Is there some simple way of getting around this?  A quick peruse of the CVS man
didn 't suggest any way of turning off the RCS locking.  The cvsup man page
didn't seem to have a flag to say "ignore directory modes".  Do I just give
up and do it as root?