Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:16:35 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <alex.kovalenko@verizon.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, gnome@freebsd.org, Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [patch] glib20, UTF-8 and string collation

--=-f+mwK7Ma/WDQ0zr4TPJH

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 19:40 -0500, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 12:35 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:=20
> > On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 10:53 -0500, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> > > I have seen recent commit WRT string collation in devel/glib20 by
> > > marcus, so I have decided to check if there is an interest to fix SEG=
> > > in g_utf8_collate when it is given 8-bit non-UTF-8 string(s) to colla=
te.
> >=20
> > Any commits I have made in the area of UTF-8 are completely accidental.
> > I am not the UTF-8 guy.  Both bland and jylefort have expressed interes=
> > in this.  Perhaps one of them will comment.
>=20
> I hope so. Just in case, they would decide to, I have reduced the
> situation to the small program below. I get=20
>=20
> GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion `str !=3D NULL' failed
>=20
> and no core dump from this simple program, whereas Evolution manages to
> pass NULL to strcoll further down in g_utf8_collate and get SEGV for its
> pains.

That sounds like a no-no for Evolution to be dereferencing a NULL
pointer.  Hopefully they'd fix this to prevent the problem.

>=20
> Conversely, if the answer still is "Evolution should not have done
> that", I will happily crawl back under my rock and keep my patch
> locally.

I can't imagine you're alone in this.  But then again, any Cyrillic mail
that comes my way is always spam, so what do I know.

Joe

--=20

--=-f+mwK7Ma/WDQ0zr4TPJH

--=-f+mwK7Ma/WDQ0zr4TPJH--